Grinding of food is an important step before it is consumed. Spices ground taste much better than if taken raw. However, just like any grinder, it must be kept clean. Cleaning the grinder is a delicate process that needs some skill. This article explains the process of how to clean a grinder screen making it look like-new condition.
Why you should regularly clean your grinder Screen
The challenge with grinders is after usage they can get easily messed up with small pieces of the material. This will make it difficult to use mostly when rotating. This applies to the grinders that are made of any materials such as plastic, wooden, and metal.
Preparation to Grind Clean
- Just before you begin, you need to assemble a few items to help you as you clean.
- A paper plate- the plate will hold the dirt during the cleaning process.
- Toothpicks-they help gets into areas that are very difficult to reach.
- Toothbrush- Important when removing the dirt.
- Paper towels- used to wipe the dirt and water.
- Isopropyl alcohol- It is used on the metal grinders. It has shown to offer between 91-97% results.
- Rubbing alcohol used on deep cleans.
- Hairdryer- It is used to fast dry the grinder thereby saving time for drying.
There are several processes on how to clean a grinder screen. They depend on the grinder material used and the time to be consumed cleaning as it will be discussed below.
Process 1: Quick Clean Your Grinder. [Method-1]
Step 1: Disassemble the dirt grinder
Separate each chamber of the grinder. Disassembling requires some time and pieces need to be put on the plate and be keen that they do not fall off. Some dirt may fall off as you disassemble.
Step 2: Soaking the grinder
Place it on the grinder in a container and fill it with isopropyl alcohol submerging all the pieces. The soaking period should be between 20-30 minutes agitating the container every once in a while to break the residue.
Step 3: Scrub the grinder
Remove the alcohol and using a stiff brush to scrub your grinder and on the teeth, and scour the lids. As you scrub, keep washing each chamber using alcohol.
Step 4: Rinsing and drying the grinder
The grinder is rinsed on the warm water. This will ensure that all the alcohol is washed away. Using a clean towel dry the grinder and you are ready to grind again. The hair drier will be effective to dry the grinder even in its innermost parts. You can reassemble the grinder and use it.
Process 1: Quick Clean Your Grinder. [Method-2]
Step 1: Disassemble the Dirty Grinder
This step is similar to that of the first method.
Step 2: Freezing the grinder pieces
Stick the pieces in the freezer for forty-five minutes. This will enable the dirt sticking on the sides and the screen to harden.
Step 3: Tapping the pieces
Take the pieces and moderately hit them vigorously on the paper towel to remove the filth. This process removes the dirt that has been loosely stuck to the pieces. If some dirt is not removed do not worry the process is not over.
Step 4: Soak in alcohol
Submerge the pieces in a container filled with alcohol for 20 minutes. This process is meant to ease any dirt that may be hard to remove after freezing. Just like the soaking process with the first process ensure that you shake the container with alcohol in intervals of 5 minutes. It helps to ensure all parts of the grinder get the right content of the alcohol.
Step 5: Scrub the pieces with a Brush and Toothpick
This process is similar to that of using the brush to remove the residuals. The toothpick is essential when removing dirt in areas that are not easy to access. The toothpick is also used to clean the teeth of the grinder. Moreover, the brush can also be used.
Step 6: Rinsing and drying the grinder.
It is recommended that rising can be done with a little alcohol and the parts left to dry in the sun. The hair drier is not recommended on this point as too much heat may react with the heat hurting the metal. The sun heat will make it look sparkling hence retaining its texture. Reassemble the grinder and get back to work.
For Acrylic and Plastic Grinders. [Method-3]
- Plastic grinders as well as Acrylic are easily damaged by alcohol. Instead of alcohol, use soap and warm water.
- Simply soak the grinders in moderately hot water for 15 minutes. Overheating may cause the grinder
- Gently scrub with a block of dish soap to remove the dirt and buildups. A soft brush can be also used to scrub.
- Thoroughly using clean warm water rinse it. Note that this method is not applicable when cleaning the metal grinders. It will easily rust.
- You can now dry it and you are ready for the next assignment.
how to clean a grinder screen Video
Why should you clean your grinder?
- Cleaning the grinder has any benefits though it seems like a cumbersome process.
- Cleaning extends the life of the grinder thereby saving you money. It increases the efficiency of the grinder.
- A dirty grinder becomes hard to work with.
- The grinder is not able to achieve a fine grind when cutting large pieces.
- Lastly, it will create a health hazard as bacteria will easily accumulate in a dirty grinder.
Grinding can be fun but grinding using a clean grinder is an icing added on the cake. After cleaning the grinder will be spotless just as when first bought. The device will smoothly rotate, neater and uniform is the product that will be produced.
Learning how to clean a grinder screen is essential to enhance your experience. After following these steps to clean your grinder you will make a world of difference in both performance and overall use.