There is no doubt that you will enjoy a freshly ground pepper with McCormick grinder. It not only adds fresh but also flavor to the dish. However, opening the lid of the McCormick Pepper Grinder can be difficult to remove.
But there are tricks on how to open McCormick Pepper Grinder contrary to a number of opinions against it.
The manufacturer of the McCormick paper idea is that the buyer disposes of the grinder after using allowing you to buy a new one hence creating new sales and not to be refilled. It is the one reason why opening the grinder is not a walk in the park.
However, the majority of the users could want to continue using the grinder even after finishing using the initial pepper.
Facts about Opening McCormick Pepper Grinder
- Not a guarantee that it will safely be opened.
- Some methods may not work well for you.
- Frequent opening and closing may destroy the grinder over time.
- The output effectiveness will fail with time as the teeth get worn out.
Below are some of the proven methods that you can use:
Method One: Using hand skill
- The grinder
- Leather gloves
- Clean your hands and ensure that it is dry.
- Fit in your gloves. However, this step in not mandatory. The gloves help to have a firm grip.
- Hold the lid part with one hand while holding the other on the other part
- Carefully twist the lid strongly and it will dis-attach the lid
Tips and warnings
- The process may be tiring and there is no guarantee that the process will yield fruit.
- It may end up destroying the whole grinder thereby breaking it.
- When pooling the top of the grinder, pull it to the opposite direction of the hand.
- There is a likelihood of getting blisters at the end of opening the yield due to friction while opening.
- The process is not suitable in situations where there is some pepper still left in the grinder as it will likely spill all over causing a mess.
Method Two: Using Hot water
- Empty grinder
- Empty the grinder. Ensure that the grinder is empty to avoid spillage or loss when opening.
- Run the lid under hot boiling water. This should be done within 5 to 10 minutes. Care should be taken to avoid burning yourself. The hot water is likely to loosen the stiffness.
- Alternatively, you can immerse the grinder in deep boiling water for 5 minutes.
- Pop it out. You will need some energy to pop it out. You may need a helper around to help you.
- At the first chance of popping if unsuccessful, rinse it under hot water with the top side facing down.
- When pepper gets wet. Ensure that it is dry by placing it on top of the oven while one is baking until it gets dry.
- Ensure that the lid does not stay longer in water as it may melt the grinder making it lose its shape.
- If you are refilling it, you need to carefully follow the steps above on opening it.
- This is the common method that is used on how to open McCormick Pepper Grinder.
Method Three: Extreme heating
- Empty grinder
- Put the grinder in an oven. The idea is to soften the plastic to easily be removed.
- Heat the oven to 250 degrees Celsius for 5-10 minutes.
- Using a thick cloth, pull off the cap.
- Let it cool for 10 minutes before is refilled or cleaned.
- Be careful the grinder may melt if prolonged and lose its shape.
- Do not pour cold water immediately after removing it from the oven as it will shrink.
- Do not hold the grinder with your bare hands as it is really hot. The use of thick cloth is recommended.
- The glass may break on you, therefore, injuring you.
- Since water is not used, the advantage is that there will be no wetting.
How to Open McCormick Pepper Grinder Video
Method 4: Using a Screw Driver
- Insert a knife just between the grinder’s top edge and the bottle.
- Carefully and gently wedge the side of the grinder by prying it backward from the bottle.
- Continue wedging as you rotate the grinder round and round.
- The top must seem to be loosening up.
- Pull the top out steadily and it will come out.
- You need some skill when using the driver by ensuring that the screw is driven in well.
- Careful when wedging so as not to hurt yourself.
- Some patience is needed as you wedge around and use a small or medium-size screwdriver.
- For effective, go under the edge and lift it until it is loosened.
- The screw needs to be sharp on the front so that it can easily hook. You can sharpen it with a file.
This is all about how to open McCormick pepper grinder. After opening the grinder, you can either refill it with pepper or salt. The next step will be closing it. Refilling is pretty easy as it entails pouring pepper into the grinder.
While closing push the top to the bottle firmly and it will close. Note, the teeth of the grinder are small and what is to be refilled should be considered in relation to the size of teeth.
From the methods above it is possible to open the McCormick Pepper Grinder to either use it to have salt or add some other pepper. However, it should be clear that it is not the idea of the manufacturing company.
In its explanations, the grinder is disposable after use. Therefore, the grinder should not be resold with or without pepper inside as it is unlawful.
Related article that you may like: