In the past centuries, hunting and trappings were the main sources of clothing, shelter, and food for human beings. The practice is as old as the life of human beings. Interestingly, it has been discovered that hunting is an important tool to manage the wildlife population.
As the hunting continues, it has to be controlled, or else the hunted animals will be drastically reduced to extinction. There has been a discussion on what group sets hunting regulations in most states and clearly, the wildlife management agency takes it.
The agency strives to balance wildlife needs in relation to the needs of people using science. Hunting on water, air or land is managed by this agency.
The structure of the group
The wildlife management agency is organized in a way that derives its powers from the state under an act of that state law. The states do this so that stakeholders' views can be easily taken up. The state gives them powers to create, amend, or abolish laws in the spirit of protecting the stakeholders.
The agency is compromised by individuals who come from different sectors such as hunters. Each sector of the agency is headed by the manager who works with small teams and the officers such as the navy to implement it. The hunters do not join on their own individual capacity but they form themselves into smaller groups which give them bargaining powers.
How laws are passed
The laws are passed using the criteria of doing the good for the people and nature being put into consideration. The agencies will organize regular meetings which are funded by the stakeholders where the public and stakeholders voice their concerns and make suggestions.
Hunters with proposals to change the laws are required to join hunting organizations that will interact with the agency. If the proposals are agreeable among members they will be passed and start to work. In some cases, the laws may be amended or rejected altogether.
Wildlife management concepts
- Good wildlife management is based on solid biological information.
- Good wildlife management includes taking into consideration the management of human beings.
- Good wildlife management must not only benefit a single species or habitat.
- Good wildlife management balances the animal numbers to the level at which we are.
- It must ensure that the number of animals can be supported by available resources such as food and shelter.
- It must ensure there is wise utilization of resources
Managing hunting seasons
The agency helps identify and assign times of the year when hunting can be done. It allows a surplus of animals to be removed. They also determine the kind of weapons to be used and give out the licenses to the hunters. Such seasons include:
- Open season - This is the period when wildlife is legally allowed to be hunted. Such a period is not a breeding season. Though it is open, there could be other regulations.
- Limited entry- Hunting under such conditions is tightly restricted. Only a few hunters will be allowed to hunt and mostly a lottery system is used to allow entry where many apply but few are lucky to be chosen.
- Closed Season - Under this season the wildlife is protected from hunting at it could that the fish are breeding. Any hunting during this period is known as illegal hunting or poaching.
- Type of weapon used - In wildlife management the leading principle is the type of weapon to be used. It is required that the least damaging weapon must be used.
Who sustains the wildlife management agency?
The agency is sustained by the license fees which are paid by hunters. The game and nongame species are managed by the licensed money. States do collect special tax on all guns, bullets, and any other hunting-related products which provide additional funds.
Wildlife lovers have supported the agency by providing general donations and those that are targeted to specific projects. Among what group that sets hunting regulations in most states, wildlife management agency leads in terms of fees collection.
Laws and regulations on the game
The laws however harsh as they may, they provide a guideline that helps accommodate all species. In instances where the species of the hunted animals reduces, the remaining animals could be protected by the agency.
This will be achieved through either reduced hunting or completely stopped. In some cases, regulations have been passed to completely stop hunting and protect the habitat. These laws are used when long-term decisions are required.
In situations that animals are many, hunting is highly recommended to reduce them to the required level. This includes adjusting the hunting season appropriately.
Definitions of key terms used
The terms are commonly used and below are their definitions.
- Boat- Boat includes but is not limited to any raft, canoe, floating blind or any other device that can be used on water.
- Offshore- It is an area where water is below the mean high or towards the land.
- Offshore blind - It is a site that is offshore blind or just stationary blind.
- Offshore blind site- This is a specific location in the water where someone can hunt safely from a boat when it is still or tied to an anchor.
- Offshore stationary blind – It is a structure built that is used to hunt wild waterfowl.
- Riparian landowner - A person who owns a waterfront property such as land adjacent to the waters.
- Hunter – This is an individual who either hunts for fun or for food.
- Ecosystem - It involves all living things and plants that interact with the land, waters, and the air
- Wildlife manager – This is the individual mandated to ensure that the laws and regulations of the ecosystem where animals live or forests are followed.
Roles of the wildlife management agency
Licensing the riparian landowners
Licensing helps prevent encroachers. There has been conflicting among hunters and once a person receives the license, no other person will get it. However, the license is not for a lifetime and it is required to be renewed after the expiry period.
Accessing the offshore stationary blind
Most hunting done from the boat requires that the boat be anchored or tied to the blind site. Some hunters ay stand at the natural bottom where they will shoot from. A licensed hunter will access easily the licensed stationary blind site.
Provision of public education
They say knowledge is progressive meaning that no one has a monopoly of it. The agency strives to empower the hunters with new information to enhance their hunting prowess. The education is not applied only to the hunters but also the public at large who may want to participate in hunting. Most of the education to the hunters though focuses on the update on new regulations that they may need to know.
Ensuring the safety of the hunters
The regulations formed are meant to first put the life of the hunters then that of the hunted. The safety includes ensuring that the hotline number is always on just in case of any emergency.
The agency recommends equipment like weapons and life jackets from manufactures that make quality pieces of stuff. Moreover, there are officers who keep on monitoring the situation around the waters to help respond faster in case a hunter drowns with the boat.
Hunters are not the only one who accesses the waters, large scale fish harvesters also access the waters to harvest. In big seas, the agency helps to mark areas for each set of groups. This will help reduce any conflict that may arise.
Hunting regulations resources provided by the agency
Responsible hunters are required to be updated with the laws of hunting. The resources which can be used to know the regulations, hunting arena and information of the species can be found at
- Official state monthly magazines and publications,
- Wildlife agency website,
- Hunting access books,
- Mapping software,
- Fellow hunters.
The information available entails the hunting license, permits, forbidden activities, hunting seasons, weapon carrying procedure, trespassing guidelines, and the agency personnel.
It is not clear that the question of what group set hunting regulation in most states has been settled. The wildlife management agency plays an important role to ensure that chaos and misunderstanding are not experienced. No wonder this is the group that is supported and approved by many states mostly in the U.S.A.
It determines which method will be effective in conserving and building a sustainable ecosystem. This approach helps almost the whole country to speak and make a decision as a single entity.
It also reduces the time to be spent in the discussion by bullying other wildlife groups as a result of the weight it has in negotiation. Wildlife management and its conservation are based on information related to the distribution of animals.